florrent is a Massachusetts-based, minority-owned deep-tech company innovating to design and build the next generation of high energy density ultracapacitors that will stabilize electrical grids and address critical bottlenecks for the adoption of renewable energies, electric vehicles, and net-zero buildings. Our ultracapacitors are manufactured in Western Massachusetts from abundant and regenerative hemp biomass, grown domestically in the US by Black and Indigenous farmers.
About the Culture
At florrent, we are passionate about bringing the benefits of a decarbonized future to everyone. That passion drives everything we do, and how we do it. We are building a team propelled by ambitious goals, and committed to seeing them become reality. To reach those goals, we need to stay connected to what motivates us, and always be real about the challenges ahead.
If that sounds like you, let’s talk! Our careers page is always being updated, but if you find yourself drawn to our mission while none of our current postings are quite the right fit, you can always reach out directly on our Home Page to start a conversation.
About the Job
We are seeking a Process Engineer to help build and scale florrent’s activated carbon manufacturing. Working in this role, you will help build out florrent’s pilot manufacturing facility in South Deerfield, MA, owning the design and operation of subprocesses and necessary equipment for manufacturing activated carbon for application into next-generation ultracapacitor energy storage.
You will work on a small, cross-functional team to lead process engineering and design work on a pilot scale, innovating to prove out process viability, and analyzing data to inform design trade-offs, while always keeping an eye on 10x and 100x scale.
florrent is looking for a Process Engineer to
- Lead process engineering work in the analysis, planning, and control of activated carbon production
- Lead engineering work related to the operation of pilot plant equipment and process implementation
- Research the design of pilot plant equipment and processes for the production of activated carbon
- Lead process improvement projects, plan tests to evaluate potential process changes
- Coordinate maintenance and operation of pilot production equipment
- Research process equipment, work with vendors to obtaining quote, coordinate product trials, and making purchase recommendations
- Drive best practices in safety
- Lead creation of standard operating procedures and training manuals
- Provide engineering support to other departments as needed
Don’t have all of the qualifications listed below? That’s okay, we still want to hear from you if think there’s good alignment between you and florrent!
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Science, or related field
- 5+ years relevant experience in process design and optimization, continuous improvement and reapplication of best practices across multiple sites
- Proficiency in relevant software tools such as data analysis software (Excel, Python), process simulation tools (e.g. Aspen), and tools for statistical analysis
- Ability to plan and execute DOE
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to interpret data, identify patterns, and draw meaningful conclusions
- Excellent problem-solving skills and a proactive mindset towards identifying and addressing process inefficiencies
- Solid understanding of process engineering principles and familiarity with continuous improvement methodologies
- Must have demonstrated oral and written communication skills
- Must have the ability to drive multiple concurrent programs through to completion