florrent is a Massachusetts-based, minority-owned deep-tech company innovating to design and build the next generation of high energy density ultracapacitors that will stabilize electrical grids and address critical bottlenecks for the adoption of renewable energies, electric vehicles, and net-zero buildings. Our ultracapacitors are manufactured in Western Massachusetts from abundant and regenerative hemp biomass, grown domestically in the US by Black and Indigenous farmers.
About the Culture
At florrent, we are passionate about bringing the benefits of a decarbonized future to everyone. That passion drives everything we do, and how we do it. We are building a team propelled by ambitious goals, and committed to seeing them become reality. To reach those goals, we need to stay connected to what motivates us, and always be real about the challenges ahead.
If that sounds like you, let’s talk! Our careers page is always being updated, but if you find yourself drawn to our mission while none of our current postings are quite the right fit, you can always reach out directly on our Home Page to start a conversation.
About the Job
We are seeking a Field Applications Engineer to join our small, cross-functional team at florrent. A qualified candidate will have experience in diagnosing and resolving field issues with power electronics and/or energy storage deployments and in providing direct technical support to customers.
As a Field Applications Engineer at florrent, you will report directly to florrent’s Chief Technology Officer, work with customers to solve problems, and help to synthesize learnings from the field into product and process improvements. You will be responsible for providing on-site and remote technical support to customers, creating and maintaining technical documentation relevant to florrent products, and assist with design and installation of florrent ultracapacitors. In moving from pilot to scaled deployment, you’ll work with stakeholders both inside and outside florrent to optimize installation and support processes for customer success and company growth into industries and markets where ultracapacitors can have outsized impacts on power system stability and resiliency.
florrent is looking for a Field Applications Engineer to drive growth and impact, working directly with customers to deploy and maintain ultracapacitor energy storage. In this role, you will
- Provide on-site and remote technical support to customers, assisting with product installation, configuration, and troubleshooting
- Develop in-depth knowledge of products, integration processes, and deployment solutions
- Conduct product demonstrations and training sessions to educate customers on product capabilities and best practices
- Diagnose and resolve technical issues promptly, collaborating with internal engineering and support teams as needed
- Create and maintain technical documentation, including installation guides and troubleshooting procedures
- Gather, organize, collate, and present customer feedback and insights to guide product improvements and enhancements
- Keep yourself and other members of the team updated about relevant standards and industry best practices
- Work in a cross-functional team with engineers from other disciplines; participate closely in product design iteration
Don’t have all of the qualifications listed below? That’s okay, we still want to hear from you if think there’s good alignment between you and florrent!
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related field
- 5+ years experience in a technical role, such as application engineering, power engineering, electrical engineering, or related positions
- Experience analyzing and drafting single-line diagrams
- Experience working with power electronics in high-voltage systems
- Strong technical proficiency in deployment and maintenance of energy storage systems
- Strong understanding of cGMP and OSHA regulations
- Experience working within a QMS (e.g. an ISO-9001 environment)
- Good self-management and willingness to meet challenges and grow through them
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to convey complex technical information to non-technical audiences
- Customer-centric mindset
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Ability and openness to travel to customer sites (20-40% travel)